The Athens Area School District and Athens Borough have entered an agreement to investigate the possibly of having a student resource officer at the Athens Area High School.

Review Photo/Nathan Brown

ATHENS BOROUGH — The Athens Area School District and Athens Borough have entered an agreement to investigate the possibility of bringing a school resource officer back into the district.

On Monday, the two sides met in executive session during the borough’s regularly scheduled monthly meeting to have formal discussions about the idea.

Following the discussions, which were held in executive session due to it being a personnel matter, the borough and the school district reached an agreement to further investigate the possibility.

“Our goal is to have an SRO with the borough which would affect the high school,” remarked Stage.

The district is also in discussions with the Athens Township Police Department and its supervisors to bring the same position into the Harlan Rowe Middle School and Lynch-Bustin Elementary School.

Although the district and the township have yet to meet formally, Stage related that plans are in place for it to happen in the near future.

“It’s one of those steps in providing more safety and support for students and staff,” added Stage about the school resource officer.

The district will seek grants to fund the officers. Following Monday’s Athens Area School District Board of Education meeting, Stage related that the district has recently applied for an application to ultimately apply for a grant for a resource officer.

“We are definitely seeking all and any funding that we can,” said Stage.

Discussions about adding such a position to the district came in February, when the board discussed bringing back the officers, which were once established in the school district.

Connect with Nathan: (570) 265-2151 ext. 1639;; Facebook @Nathan Brown Daily Review.

Staff Writer

Staff writer for The Daily Review covering primarily the Valley, northeast Bradford County and surrounding areas. Have a story idea? I can be reached at (570) 265-2151 ext. 1639.